Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Zambian Skies

The back of my house faces to the west. While I don't get the beautiful sunset that can be seen on the west coast over the ocean, I still get my own little gifts from God. Frequently, the sunset provides vibrant colors in the sky as depicted above. When I see these glorious skies, I am reminded of the skies in Zambia, Africa. I remember feeling like I could literally reach out and touch the clouds. At night in Zambia, I felt like I could see every star that God has ever made. It was in-describable!
These are the falls at Victoria Falls. If you don't believe in a God, then I guarantee that you will when you visit Victoria Falls. The rainbows are all over. The greenery is gorgeous. But, even in all it's glory, Africa can be such a place of despair. In Zambia, more people are just striving to survive much less live. I met so many people who literally owned one shirt, one pair of pants, and if they were lucky a pair of shoes. So many people who would do whatever it took to feed their family for THAT DAY.
An African Village. These one room shacks would hold an entire family. The room is their living room, kitchen, and bedroom all in one. Forget about a bathroom or washroom.
These type of houses were all over Zambia. They consisted of a living area which is probably about the size of your bathroom or maybe laundry room and then another room which is a bedroom. The community shared a water well. The family would draw water from the well into a tub (the blue thing next to the lady getting her hair braided). The family would then take turns washing with a rag and the dirty water. No shower or soaking in a tub.

Even though survival was the name of the game, I am in awe of their sense of culture, family, and pride. I met so many happy truly nice people. People willing to give even if they didn't have anything to give. People so ready to serve. I'll never forget my time in Africa. Never forget the scenery, people, and places. Today, these memories remind me of how we should all be thankful to live in America, thankful that we have running water, thankful that we don't wonder if we will get to eat today or feed our families today. No matter what you are going through today.. take time to appreciate the life and "things" that you do have. Trust me, it makes me put my job situation into perspective!

No comments: