Saturday, August 1, 2009

A Pocket Full-O Change

My niece, Kayla, gave me this bank a couple of years ago. Or, she may have given it to Mema and then Mema passed it on to me..who knows? Anyway, I have the bank.

I had saved some change in it and then dumped it for some unknown event or occasion. Last year, Kelley and I began putting our pocket change in it. Our intention was to fill it to the rim, see how much we had, and then decide what to do with the money.

We recently decided to take advantage of a trip to China next March that my company is offering at a discount. Well, on my bus ride home yesterday, I had this bright idea. Instead of letting the change sit in the bottle earning no interest, why not put the money in savings and let it at least earn a few dollars in interest. I know, I know.. with today's interest rates, we're really not missing much. Either way, I was interested to see how much we had saved.

As soon as I got home, I promptly dumped the bottle to retrieve the dollar bills that had accrued. (Yep.. we threw in a few dollar bills here and there.) I was so excited to see that we had saved $39.00 in bills. Wow! That's $3 a month! So, then, Kelley and I head off to the nearest Kroger to find one of those coin machine thingies.

I am excited to announce that we actually had $225 in coins in the bottle!!! And it wasn't even half full!!! We are so excited that we have made an even bigger committment to save our change. Who knows? Maybe next year we'll double our money.

No comments: