Friday, March 27, 2009

Thank you, Leisa!

When Leisa and I travelled to San Jose in January to surprise Lacy for her birthday, Leisa was very prepared and had packed a couple of books to occupy her time on the 4 hour flight to and fro. I am a sporadic reader. I will read voraciously for a while and then won't read again for months or even years. In the past, I have favored biographies, self-help books, and the occasional love story.

Leisa wanted a new book for her trip home. She had either finished the ones she had or was craving something different. So, we took a field trip to the book store prior to departing. I decided to join the band wagon and bought a couple of books for myself. Not really knowing whether or not I would actually read them. To my surprise, I began reading one of the books on the plane. I don't recall which one. I do know that it was a fiction book. It grabbed my attention and wouldn't let go. I read non-stop to the end of the book and LOVED IT!

Since then, I have read 3 - 4 books a week. During my peaceful evenings and every other Friday off, I have joined the worlds of Jodi Picoult, Nicholas Sparks, James Patterson, Susan Elizabeth Phillips, and a few others. My imagination has felt the ocean winds off the eastern coastline, seen the beautiful hills set in northern California, felt the tension of a mom watching her child go on trial for murder, and much more. I have fallen in love with my books!

Last week, Kelley put together this bookcase for me. My old one was full and my books were beginning to pile up. In Lacy's Blog, she asks, "What is your favorite spot in your home?" Right at this moment, I would have to say this book case. While I don't sit near it to read or even use this room right now as a reading room, this bookcase makes me smile. I've thumbed through the books, looked at the titles and covers, only to reminisce about their contents. Feels like sweet memories of my past. I am excited to see what other titles and authors will fill it's shelves.
I can only thank my sister for re-lighting a fire in me that I thought had burned out. If it weren't for her, I wouldn't have begun to experience reading in a new way. Thank you, Leisa! Thank you for reminding me that reading can bring a whole new world to your life!

No comments: